Wanna Crouton?

8:33 PM

Tonite, the Dennis family went to The Butcher Shop for my birthday dinner. My parents are incredibly generous and take the whole family to the restaurant of the birthdayee's choosing. I typically choose the Butcher Shop because I love the thrill of cooking my own steak. Don't ask me why. I'm not really a meat person, but I make an exception once a year come birthday time. I also adore those buttery, garlicked bread slices that you toast yourself. YUM. Plus, it's just a dadgum good steak. This year, Kyle did the honors for me and he did a stellar job. I was too busy socializing. ;)

The funniest thing happened. Two older Japanese gentlemen were seated adjacent to our table, and one of them took a liking to Brooklyn. Who doesn't, really. He squatted down beside her high chair just as she had crammed a crouton into her mouth. He touched her arm to get her attention and her blond head swiveled in surprise to face him - one cheek pooched WAY out filled with the unchewed crouton. She stared at him, nonplussed. He grinned disarmingly at her. His adoration of her was so adorable. She continued to stare, no change in the size of the cheek pouch. She looked like a chipmunk. Suddenly, without warning, she pulled the mushy crouton out of her mouth and practically shoved it into the Japanese gentleman's MOUTH! And, to the absolute surprise of our entire table, he chewed and swallowed! Brooklyn grinned in delight and proceeded to feed him several croutons from her plate. He was a totally good sport about it! His companion remained in his seat, laughing at the whole thing along with everyone at our table!

Apparently, he was the father of a 4 year old little girl and was missing her, and Brooklyn was a charmer he couldn't resist. It was one of the funnier things I've ever witnessed.

You Might Also Like

0 comments