Chocolate Yogurt Snack Cakes

2:55 PM

Oh my goodness, you must be thinking, multiple posts in one day! Don't get spoiled...I'm just as likely to get sidetracked for another month.

But I'm trying to make up for my bad behavior by treating you to some good things! Recommending good books, giving you a superb recipe...

Background on this recipe: This past summer, I read a book by David Lebovitz called The Sweet Life in Paris. (See, another book recommendation!) The best thing about this book was the myriad of recipes nestled within its chapters. I liked them so much I made copies of all the recipes before turning the book back into the library. Teehee.

Every now and then I pull out my sheaf of copied papers and flip through them for ideas. Usually when my sweet tooth gets to wiggling, because David Lebovitz is a renowned pastry chef and so far, hasn't led me astray.

These little guys look like muffins and/or cupcakes, but don't really fit into either category. They're in their own little arena of goodness. You don't ice them...and I don't really think you'd want them for breakfast, although Kyle did mistakenly scarf one down a few mornings ago. And I didn't hear him complaining. They go exceptionally well with coffee and equally well with plain ole milk.

7 ounces (200g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup (200 g) sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 cups (200 g) flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cupcake liners or lightly butter the pan.

2. In a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, melt the chocolate with 1/4 cup of the oil. Once melted and smooth, remove from heat.

3. In another bowl, mix the remaining 1/4 cup oil with the yogurt, sugar, eggs, and vanilla and almond extracts.

4. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.

5. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the yogurt mixture. Stir lightly a couple of times, then add the melted chocolate and stir until just smooth.

6. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes, or until they feel barely set in the middle.

7. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before serving.

Storage: the cakes can be stored in an airtight container, at room temp, for up to 4 days. (and in my own personal experience, even slightly longer).

Note: although you can use regular salt, the coarse salt really adds something special here. Somehow, you get a hint of salt with each chocolatey bite and it adds some serious dimension to the typical chocolate/cake experience. I made these really for my kids, but found myself LOVING them. And with the yogurt, well, they're basically health food!

You Might Also Like

0 comments