No Cards This Year

1:12 PM

Brooklyn, age 6 years, 10 months
1st grade

If you're wondering why you didn't receive a Christmas card from us this year, it isn't because you fell out of favor with me, it's just because I didn't send any! 

As prepared as I was for the holidays this year, the one thing I could not get excited about was putting together our family Christmas picture, picking out the card, and then mailing all of them. And when you put off something like that, it becomes an unconscious decision that you're just not sending out cards this year.  

I hated not sending them out, because I personally love getting everyone's cards and seeing how big everyone's children are getting, the new children in their family, new hairstyles, etc. I love hanging them up on my walls and hearing the kids talk about the people they recognize and ask about those they don't. It really is a great thing, but this year, it just wasn't my thing. 

I even had one Great Aunt call me multiple times and leave warning messages on my cell phone that if she didn't get some sort of Christmas picture....the threat was left open-ended. I caved on that one and just found a family picture my mom had taken of us and sent it to her. It seemed to hold off the reprisals.

I did manage to remember to take pictures of the kids in front of the tree. But just barely. And obviously not wearing anything particularly cute. But what's Christmas without the "in front of the tree" shot?

So, here are mine, in all their splendor.


August, age 4 years, 5 months 
Kindergarten


Me, holding a very reluctant Dorien (age 21 months). All attempts to get him standing in front of the tree on his own were thwarted by his stalwart resistance.

So a heart-felt thanks to those who graced us with your beautiful family pictures - please do not mark me off your list for next year! I promise to be more on top of things and send out a family card next year! 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I just updated my fridge yesterday with all of the new cards from this year and was sad to not have one from you all. Last year's will just have to stay up there.

    ReplyDelete