Sunday Dinner

8:47 PM


The menu I made the previous week said we'd be having Kale Lasagna on Sunday night. However, when I got ready to make it, it seemed I was missing a key ingredient: Lasagna noodles. Lasagna just isn't lasagna when you substitute another noodle.

I don't know about you, but on Sunday evenings, the last thing I want to do is run to Kroger, so I postponed that particular meal and decided to make up something using the kale I had, some whole wheat ciabatta rolls I'd just gotten from Sam's, and some white button mushrooms and portobello mushrooms I needed to use pronto (read: Manager Specials from Kroger).

What I ended up doing was water-sauteeing the kale with the chopped white button mushrooms, some minced garlic and a hint of salt, and then water-sauteeing the portobello mushrooms. I intended to grill the portobello mushrooms, but in the end, didn't want to get that many pans dirty, so I just threw them in the pan I'd just done the kale in.

I toasted the ciabatta rolls and put a big heap of wilted kale/mushroom on the bottom roll and then layered on a few slices of the portobello mushrooms.


It may not be a photogenic sandwich, but it was truly delicious, not to mention crazy healthy. And I am happy to say my kids DEVOURED theirs. 


Proof of the devouring...


To be honest, I didn't make one for Dorien. He's not keen on greens. He is great with veggies and fruit, though, so he chowed down on kiwi and other fruit. 

I think I'm getting better at creating my own meals...I usually rely almost entirely on recipes. So it felt really good to think up this one on my own and have it really be something I enjoyed!

You Might Also Like

0 comments