Wisteria

8:10 PM





The Wisteria Hysteria has come and gone. All during the year, I stare at the gnarling limbs and twining branches that is our wisteria - snaking up and around existing trees, creating a living sculpture. A continual promise of beauty contained within, just waiting for those few weeks in April when the weather is warm enough to coax out the purple pods of color. I love watching them emerge and the branches strain for just a few brief weeks to contain the bundles of color and scent. At their peak, I can stand under the trees, look up and see nothing but the color purple, twining vines and thousands of bumblebees, blissfully grazing off the flowers. Fortunately they take no notice of me, or I would not be brave enough to even admire the flowers. I guarantee that the immensity of the vines would impress you. I've NEVER seen wisteria this dense or established. Much to my chagrine during the remaining months of the year when it just looks green and leafy...and during the winter, it can at best be called "winter interest." One of these days, I know we'll have to cut down some of it, but for now, I continue to enjoy its fragrant, lovely charms.

You Might Also Like

0 comments