Peanut Butter Fudge

3:14 PM


Most of the time I eat healthy. I really do. We try hard to follow a nutritarian diet: get as many nutrients as you can for every calorie you eat. There are lots of junk foods we forego and I think nothing of it.  

But if you know me, you also know I have a sweet tooth. For super dark chocolates, first and foremost.

But I also love to bake.

Especially at Christmas.

So I won't waste any time telling you why you shouldn't partake of any seasonal sweets right now, because the point of this post is to share with you an amazing recipe I just found for peanut butter fudge.

How nutritarian is that? Well, not at all. 

And I'm not caring right at this moment.

Yesterday, my mail contained a Penzeys Spices catalog. Are you familiar with Penzeys? I've been buying spices from them ever since my friend Lynnie made me aware of them several years ago. Aside from the enormous variety of spices they offer at what I consider to be fairly reasonable prices, they are a small, family-owned and operated company with very positive values. And every catalog they send out is filled with recipes submitted by Penzeys spice users. It just gives you a cozy feeling every time you flip through it.

And lo and behold, this issue's cover had a plate of Christmas baking items on it. Including my all-time Christmas favorite: Peanut Butter Fudge.

Why in the world this is only a Christmas treat to me, I couldn't say. It could be perfectly delicious year-round, but for some reason, I only really want to make it during this season!

But I've had trouble finding a really good recipe. One that tastes great and doesn't get too dry. And I'd prefer one that didn't require me to stir boiling liquids while simultaneously checking the temperature for a "soft ball" stage. Nor do I want to take the easy route and come up with something less than perfect...

On a whim, I made this recipe in all of 20 minutes and can honestly say I've never had any better than this.
I take no credit for it - it was submitted by a Julie Eesley from Omaha, NE. Hats off to you, Julie!

Without further ado, here is it. If you're a fan of PB Fudge, get to work. It's worth it!

Peanut Butter Fudge

3/4 cup evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
2 TB butter
1 1/8 cups creamy peanut butter
2 cups marshmallow cream (I used a small tub without measuring)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Grease an 8x8 inch pan and set aside.
Over a medium heat, heat the milk, sugar and butter to a rolling boil, stirring often (it takes about 6-8 minutes to get here). Boil for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and blend in the peanut butter, marshmallow cream and vanilla.
Spread in the pan and let cool in the fridge for several hours before cutting.

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yield: 36 pieces

You Might Also Like

0 comments