Best Laid Plans

7:08 PM

Big Cedar at Christmas is a beautiful place to be. Every building is outlined in Christmas lights, there are seasonal things everywhere proclaiming the impending arrival of the big day, the air is crisp, the fireplaces stocked with wood to burn...Christmas is in the air!! It was contagious!

So much so that I got the idea to dress up my munchkins, find a pretty location and take some pictures just of August and Brooklyn. I was thinking potential Christmas presents here. Well, there was only one day that was possible and it turned out to be ridiculously cold. I mean, don't get me wrong - I LOVE cold weather. But my children did not. Noses streaming and red, watering eyes, frosty breath, frozen fingers and toes. All things NOT conducive to smiling faces, but rather screaming, wailing and crying.

These things did not deter me. I was resolute. We would have pictures of our beautiful kids in this beautiful setting in their sweet little outfits. We would.

We hauled our babes in their warm clothings down a big grassy hill to a relatively flat spot. I unfurled a blanket upon which to "place" my kids. Two seconds later, the wet ground is starting to seep through.
Undaunted, I put Brooklyn on the blanket as she wails and cries, her face red, nose gushing...I set August up against her side. He, too, begins to wail as his poor fingers turn red and his nose pours into his open mouth. Oh dear.
Too bad. They will smile, dadburn it. Suddenly, Brooklyn's body, already stiffened in rage, begins to fall backward beneath the weight of August. She wails louder! August wails louder!
She can't get up, August has her pinned! And he can't move because he's wearing 4 layers of clothing! Suddenly, the moment just got me, and I howled with laughter! Kyle joined me as we watched our kids crying miserably. We just couldn't help it. It wasn't meant to be. But boy, I almost peed I was laughing so hard.
Bless their little hearts. We did reward them with a warm cabin and some soft blankets. We aren't totally horrible parents.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I want you to know that I just busted out laughing reading this post! hilarious faces...poor kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness...our poor kids and they're strong-willed mommas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, even those moments make wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete