A Choice

9:30 AM

Ever go through one of those periods in life where everything seems to be happening at once, and not everything that's happening is good or desirable?


I'm going through one of those. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say, it feels like no aspect of my life right now is untouched by trials. Whether it's honeybees trying to set up shop in my house, forking over money to have my house repainted, contemplating major home renovations, car repairs, and so on and so forth! I don't feel exactly like Job, but maybe a first cousin.

But, I am reminded just this moment of a favorite Bible character of mine: Joseph. Things happened to that man that just did not seem fair. Horrible relationship with his brothers who almost killed him, but instead sold him into slavery. Serving as a slave to an Egyptian whose wife persisted in trying to seduce him and ultimately lied about Joseph trying to rape her. Which made him spend many years in prison. There were many things that seemed just unfair. Especially when he was serving the Lord so faithfully.

But, if there is one consistency in Joseph that convicts me, it is his attitude. He repeatedly chose to maintain a good attitude and rely on the Lord to take care of him. And he had joy! He prospered even in his dark circumstances.

I have that same choice. No matter what happens, I can choose to control my attitude. And I am working really hard to choose joy. Over anger, frustration, throwing my hands up in the air, pouting, fuming...I choose joy. Because I know it's there to be found regardless of my circumstances. And God is there. Even when I feel like He's maybe hiding from me, I know He's there.

I'm not trying to be Pollyanna, but maybe she was right. There is joy to be found in all circumstances, if you look hard enough and just flat out choose to have a joyful attitude. Something to think about.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. The joy is in the eventual victory I believe. That at some point, the dust will settle and all these things won't have mattered...just how we handled them.

    ReplyDelete