Quoted

2:56 PM

I am a huge fan of Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman. The more I read from her, the more I cook from her stuff, the more I watch her, the more likable she is to me. Love her. 

But I marvel at how she is able to do the things she does. She must have lots of minions in the background helping her keep things going. There is no other explanation. I'm not so much the piddly kind; I have lists galore and projects galore and I feel like my mind races 24/7 with ideas and thoughts and plans and lists and I'm always multi-tasking, but I still feel like things don't get done. My basil plants wilt because I forget to water them. My car needs vacuuming. My children need baths. Just kidding about that last part.

Knitting projects get worked on while I wait for yeast to proof. Books get read while my kids sleep. Finances get tinkered with while I nurse Dorien. I run for my Mommy break when Kyle gets home. Kyle and I lift weights together at the gym and talk about our days. I use his extra hands to go grocery shopping with me. I clean the bathroom when the kids are brushing their teeth and pottying. I squeeze every little drop out of this life I'm living and I still feel like there is stuff I miss. Or really want or need to do but just can't. On top of home-schooling. I'm the queen of "what can I get done while that is being done".

I'm not complaining one little bit. I love my life. And all of it is spent in the presence of my family and we're not "doing" too much. I just am a project gal. But sometimes I just wonder. Is all.

I can honestly say that adding home-schooling to the mix of my life has been really great. I get to spend more quality time with my kids. I get to have funny conversations with them! 

Yesterday, I was teaching Brooklyn and August something very basic and practical - that when you meet someone, you look them in the eye, say hello and shake their right hand with your right hand. I emphasized their right hand by putting a stamp on it. They thought this was great. Oh, and just so you don't  give me too much credit, this was all mapped out by my curriculum.  

Anyway, I was shaking hands with August, teaching him how to properly grip and not do the loosy-goosy creepy handshake. 

"The Right Hand, we shake hands with our right hands, don't we guys?"

"Yes, Mommy!"

Just to see how well August was doing with left vs. right, I held up my left hand and asked, "Which hand is this, August?"

"The Wrong Hand!" 

We may need to recover some pre-basic basics.

You Might Also Like

0 comments