Bonwit Teller

3:00 PM



A few years ago, Kyle and I stumbled upon the mother of all estate sales, thanks to the previous occupant of our house.

The house we live in now was previously occupied by a woman of more substantial means than us po'folks. And she was a patron of the arts. As well as estate sales hosted by one particular company who tends to focus on wealthier clients. So one day we get this invitation (actually, the former resident received the invite) for a special preview party for this estate sale in an extremely ritzy part of town. The brochure noted that the former resident had been an avid art collector (an understatement - every square inch of this house was covered in art - floor to ceiling) and also had a bunch of vintage clothing. Kyle and I spent more money at this one estate sale than we've ever spent at an estate sale and came away feeling like robbers. We got so many amazing things - from my newly reupholstered chair, mirrors, Picasso prints, vintage gallery posters, old mirrors, a vintage wooden toybox...the list goes ON! We stocked up. And as I poked my nose in the "vintage clothing" room, I felt kind of out of my element. The women crammed in this room were serious vintage shoppers. They were discussing labels and eras and I tuned out. I have virtually no knowledge of vintage clothing, other than that I really like some stuff and really don't others.

I also typically don't fit into lots of the clothing I find at these things. Too tall, shoulders too broad, it's usually not worth messing with. But I spied this black coat just calling my name. Three quarter length sleeves, fur collar, swing coat...it was gorgeous. And just $45. It was meant to be.


I have never owned something I feel as elegant wearing. It's like something Jackio O would have owned. I figured it was probably really worth something back in the day, but never really did any checking.

Then, out of the blue, Kyle and I were watching Mad Men (a series about advertising in the 60's) and the show's characters were discussing how to market a shopping store on Fifth Avenue...the store was going to be competing with Sak's, Bonwit Teller.....and my ears perked up. Bonwit Teller? That's the label in my coat!

I ran to double check - yep! Bonwit Teller. I quickly googled it and discovered that it was a pretty highbrow shop in its day. And I own this incredible coat that I got for practically nothing! It's really the little things, you know? I was, and still am, SO pumped! So anyway, that's the story of my super cool vintage swing coat that may actually have real fur on it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments