Odd Coincidence

12:40 PM


As I was doing some reading last night in John Adams, I had a minor epiphany. I am currently reading 3 books: John Adams by David McCullough, Marie Antoinette: The Last Queen of France by Evelyn Lever, and Princesses (can't remember the author) - about the daughters of King George III. Here was my epiphany: through no conscious action of my own, I chose three books, ALL OF WHICH TAKE PLACE around 1776. I'm literally reading about what was happening in three separate parts of the world at the exact same time. France, England and the United States (as it was becoming).

As I'm reading about John Adams and the other founding fathers of our country, some of them even travel over and are living in France during the period that Marie Antoinette and her husband, Louis XVI are ruling and during what becomes the French Revolution (the whole reason Marie and her hubby are beheaded). Benjamin Franklin was a delegate to the French Court as was Thomas Jefferson (who actually was a big advocate of the French Revolution) and for a time, John and Abigail Adams lived in France. Meanwhile, King George III was king of England and was responsible for the Stamp Act which got the colonies all riled up and sort of kicked off the American Revolution. He was crazy, and happened to have 6 daughters, about whom I am reading in Princesses. Interestingly enough, John Adams lived in England for a while as a diplomat to KG III on behalf of the United States. John and King George were actually only a few years apart in age.

So, I am delving into history in a way I have never done before. From three different perspectives all at the same time. I have to tell you, it's intriguing!!! And accidental. Although as the turtle in Kung Fu Panda would tell you: There are no accidents.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Nerds unite! (Please know that "nerd" is a term of endearment from me...) Seriously, my husband and I are both reading huge history tomes right now, and THEY happen to be about (nearly) the same time in history: me, Elizabeth I, and Marty, Martin Luther. Gosh, I just love a girl who reads big fat history books, and 3 at a time is quite impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete