A Job Complex

8:41 PM

I fully intend to update this blog with pictures from Christmas, etc. Which was absolutely fantastic! But for the moment, I have to say that it is about time this family gets healthy. I feel as though the black cloud of germs is sitting over my house, just spitting on me and the kids every time we go outside. It might have something to do with the way the temperature keeps jumping around. One day it's 40 degrees...the next day, it's 78. No joke. This weather is insane. And most unwanted. I love winter and welcome its settling in!!!!

The ongoing saga of illness to which I refer began a few weeks ago when August sprouted his rash (see pictures on previous post). After taking him to the doctor and being told that his rash was on its way out, I breathed a sigh of relief. Until his eyes and nose began simultaneously and COPIOUSLY streaming clear junk. I thought...allergies? Huh? He swiped continuously at his poor eyes, leading me to conclude they were itchy. No fever, just lots of runnyness. Followed by SERIOUS congestion. For about 4 days, the poor guy could barely breathe. He gasped through his mouth, making nursing particularly challenging. I think it must have been a monster of a cold because next thing you know, I have it and Kyle has it. So there's three of us sniffling, snorting and trying to breathe. And wouldn't you know it, they've taken all the good decongestion meds for kids off the market. About the only thing you can buy is saline to snort up their nose which just sort of streams right back out.

August began to recognize and dread the appearance of the brown hospital-issue bulb syringe. His nose was raw, his mouth was raw, his whole face chapped-looking. I slathered on that lanoline meant for dry, cracked nipples. So then he was goozy on top of reddish. This also spelled lots of sleepless nights for me. At least 4 nights in a row, I slept half-awake and with my ear as close to August's nose as I could get it without laying my head on his little chest. I had to know he was still breathing. And every time he wanted to eat, it was a series of saline squirts, suctioning, squalling and nursing/gasping for air. Looooonng nights.

So I finally break down and take him to the doctor to make sure he doesn't have allergies that I should be treating, and the doctor listens to his chest and pronounces that August has bronchitis. Huh. I hadn't even heard him cough. So he gave us some antibiotics which I HATE to give my babies. Total soapbox material, so I will refrain.

A few days into the antibiotic, August is breathing much better, but sporting a hideous little rash - one on his poor raw bottom, the other all over his body. I can only assume the antibiotics are responsible for the rash! No fever accompanies it, just lots of dots. And I stopped the antibiotics in hopes that as the medicine leaves his system, so will the dots.

As if that weren't enough, Kyle woke up a few days ago with pink eye. Again!!! Which quickly spread to his other eye. This plus his horrible cold. On New Years Eve, we decided to go play games at DD & RanDad's New Year's Eve party, and I look over the table across the Bananagrams game in progress and notice that Brooklyn's right eye is goozy. Definitely beginning stage of pink eye. Sigh. We immediately pack up our contagious selves and head home. Fortunately, we have loads of pink eye drops and we all promptly started taking them. By the next day, all pink eye symptoms had been vanquished. But the next night, just as we were hoping for a good night's rest, Brooklyn woke Kyle and I at 2 in the morning, screaming and crying. Nightmare. Inconsolable, she stared at us blankly and just wailed and wailed. It was really unnerving. We slept fitfully with a Bible under our pillows, stuffy noses and recovering pink eyes and prayed that God would protect her dreams. We probably got about 4 good hours of sleep that night.

In the midst of all that fun stuff, I had a happy day where Sarah & John came to see us with Sam & Lily. Of course, it couldn't be all fun and games - that would be too easy! No, as we pull into the Chick-fil-A parking lot with August wailing his own hungry cries, Brooklyn moans and promptly pukes all over the backseat. I know she gets carsick, but that was first for just driving around town. Fortunately, I came equipped with lots of burp cloths and Sarah had an extra shirt for B to wear. I laughed, cause what else was I gonna do? Cry? No way.

Today, as I write this, I really feel ok. I slept until 11 this morning and I am not the least bit embarrassed by that. If you'd had my nights lately, you would too. I am praying that God continues to heal us all, cause seriously, I am beginning to develop a Job complex.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Oh Ash! Our family all had horrible colds last week and I know what you mean about the nursing. Poor Izzy would scream in frustration and only eat for about 3-5 minutes before giving up. That resulted in many more night time feedings than I've grown accustomed to. And Eva has also been waking up pretty regularly with bad dreams. I've tried to monitor EVERYTHING that she sees or hears, but I cannot figure out what is feeding the negative side of her little imagination so much that it would creep up into her dreams.

    I felt like a zombie most days, and probably looked like one too now that I think on it.

    You're poor family is in my prayers today! We'll pray that God pushes the metaphorical reset button on your home...that you can start fresh without germs or bad dreams or missed hours of sleep.

    And by the way, I think even Job would've offered you a encouraging pat on the back at this point ;)

    ReplyDelete