The Ultimate Christmas Gifts

2:53 PM

I know as adults, we tend to downplay what we got for Christmas. Why is that? It's not that it's any less exciting to rip into your gifts now that we're older! I find it even MORE exciting now that I'm an adult. Usually the gifts I receive are things I really need or really love and so I appreciate them much more than when I was a little kid. At Brooklyn's age, the joy is in the unwrapping, more so than the gifts contained within. She pretty much just ripped through as if that were the sole purpose of the day. But she has played for many happy hours with her new dollhouse people and her play-do.

As much as I enjoy individually selecting gifts for my two kids, my husband, my parents and siblings, I enjoy even more the moments of watching them open those gifts. At my family's Christmas extravaganza, we all take stations and rip into the presents at once. Although I have noticed that there are a few of us who put our piles of gifts together and then watch everyone open theirs to see their reactions. I love that part best. Seeing someone's face light up at something you've given them. That to me, is just about the best part of the day. Knowing that I got the right thing for that person. Whether it's a new biography, vintage advertisements, vintage bowls and aprons, cookbooks, an individual hot dog steamer, whatever it may be, it's so much fun to savor their reactions.

I am a savorer, I guess. I hate ruining surprises. I like to savor that moment of mystery before the wrapping paper falls away revealing the contents. That moment of anticipation. And it is usually for that reason that Kyle and I end up opening our gifts to each other later in the day on Christmas. Once everything else is over, lunch is done, naps...

This year, my husband outdid himself. He is without a doubt, the most creative and romantic person I have ever met. How fortunate that he fell for me! And vice versa.

Although I seriously loved everything he gave me - a year's subscription to Cook's Illustrated (YEAH!!!!), some new Converse tennies, etc., my hands down heart-movers were the following two items:

The "I Love:" Box and the "My Favorite and My Best" book.


As I opened the "I Love" box and realized what it was, I was overwhelmed, humbled and stunned. My incredible husband had crafted 180+ individual cards detailing things he loves about me. He even said he had a whole bunch that he didn't get to put in the box. Even now, the words to adequately describe how moved I am by that gesture....just aren't there. Needless to say, I fell even more in love with Kyle than I was five minutes before.

The second heart-moving gift was his creation of a book he cleverly called "My Favorite and My Best". Knowing that the contents did indeed contain absolutely that. Tons of pictures of my two babies. Put together in the incredibly beautiful, graphically appealing way that only an artist can. I was once again, moved to tears. This man....wow. I just have a hard time absorbing how wonderful he is, as a person and to me. I am so blessed to be the one he chose. To have children with him. Merry Christmas me!


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Kyle is an extraordinary guy...it's absolutely true. And you're a pretty durned extraordinary person yourself. I'm honored to call the two of you "friend." -Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Kyle I loved his gift ideas!!!He is such a sweet guy. (I'm praying for son-in-laws like him and a daughter-in-law like you.) Love you both...hope to see you all soon. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, he's right. You do have pretty perfect collar bones.

    ReplyDelete