8 Years

2:20 PM

This coming Tuesday, October 21, it will be 8 years that I have been the wife of Kyle Stephen. And what an incredible 8 years it has been. In many ways, we've had it easy. Maybe because we dated each other so long (almost 5 years) we had a relatively painless transition into marriage. No big fights or quibbles or struggling to live with another person. We just blended smoothly into our life as a couple. There were certain struggles we faced, but not with each other. And God has given us the grace over the years to deal with those struggles.

From the first moment I laid eyes on Kyle, I felt a connection in my soul that shook me. That initial connection was like a tiny string compared to the strong bond I now feel with him. He so quickly became my best friend back during my freshman year of college, possessing the ability to surprise and delight me with his quick wit and fabulous sense of humor. He was so kind to everyone, gentle and wise. He loved the Lord deeply, but was much more quiet about His relationship with God than I was. That was challenging for me to understand. Yet over the years, I've seen Kyle actively pursue an ever-deepening relationship with the Lord, sometimes through mentor relationships, like with my Dad, through Men's Fraternity (showing an incredible commitment even when it required him to wake up in the mornings at 5 in order to drive across town!), in his friendships with other guys such as Toby Burkett, Greg Walker, my brothers, Drew, in his daily choice to do his Bible study and memorize Scriptures...He has changed from a godly young man into a serious man of God.

I have seen evidence of it in his relationship with me, in his role of Daddy to Brooklyn and August, in his role as a son-in-law, in his position at work, among his friendships with others. He has such a love for people, in spite of his self-proclaimed loner tendencies. He has a quietness that draws people to him and causes them to lower their walls of protection. He is trustworthy like no other. He is so incredibly thoughtful! When I began staying at home full-time, he started a tradition of leaving me little post-it notes on my vanity mirror. Without fail, the first thing I do every morning, even before putting in my contacts, is to run to the mirror to read my note. And I've saved every one. He is a born romantic and he romances me every day in so many different ways.

He is a fabulous example to my brothers and sisters. He loves each of them as though they were his blood, and they love him back the same. He is selfless and unselfish and through his daily life, he challenges me to be that way, too. He takes very seriously his role as provider and protector. And he does a fabulous job of making me feel secure - and we both know our security is a gift from the Lord and completely in His hands. In response to his willingness to be that provider and to do his job unto the Lord, God has blessed him over and over.

I can't even begin to really describe how honored I am to be his wife. And the mother of his children. He is truly a man out of Psalms 128 - he fears the Lord and delights in his ways. He eats the labor of his hands, is happy and it is well with his soul. His wife (me) is like a fruitful vine in the very heart of his house, his children like olive plants all around his table. Behold, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the Lord.

I thank God daily for bringing Kyle into my life, for selecting him as my husband. I continue to commit our marriage to the Lord. I have recently seen several seemingly happy marriages crumble, and I am aware of Satan's deviousness. In light of these recent divorces, Kyle and I cling more desperately to our Lord and to each other and praise God for His faithfulness to us. I delight in my husband and his many amazing qualities and thank the Lord for blessing us with the past 8 years. I hope we have many many many more to come. Happy Anniversary, my love.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Ashley...such a sweet note about your marriage to Kyle. I agree with everything you say about him. He truly has such a calming spirit and generous heart. You both are special. Love you...Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Happy Anniversary guys! Every time I think of the two of you it brings a smile to my face and glee to my heart. You guys are the perfect example of what happens when we let God choose our mate. Your marriage is an inspiration to me and I know it will be for MANY years to come! I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you both... you're a beautiful couple!

    ReplyDelete