Brooklyn & Hollis

2:47 PM


A little over a month ago, I received an email from a girl I knew in college. I hadn't talked to her since we graduated, and was totally delighted to see her name pop up in my inbox! Back in college, during our junior and senior year, we had been in a Bible study together and I'd always really liked this girl. She was thoughtful, intelligent, had an incredible heart for the Lord and a desire to grow in her knowledge of Him and relationship with Him. A person with serious depth. But it was one of those things that as your college life speeds to its conclusion, other things crowd out your best intentions, and I moved back home with no way to keep in touch with her. Almost 10 years later, this random email sparked the renewal of that college friendship.

Turns out we both have 2 kids, a girl and a boy, of similar ages. Her daughter, Hollis, is 3 1/2 and gets along great with Brooklyn! Her little boy just turned 1 and someday, he and August will be able to leave a trail of destruction behind them together. Emily and I have turned our reunion into a weekly playdate where the kids benefit from kid time, and she and I slowly fill in the blanks of our lives. Our sentences are frequently broken as we rush off to prevent a baby from eating a candle or to give our girls a snack, and it's taking longer to cover that ground than I would have thought, but it does give us continued excuses to keep seeing each other!

Speaking of that, it is seriously hard to really have an adult conversation these days. And it's not just with Emily - with anyone where the kids are present. I wonder if every other mom has this problem...even if your mind is focused on the conversation you're having, your attention is splintered by thoughts of where your kids are...what they're into now...does the silence indicate they've just found your makeup bag and are painting the walls with lipstick? I really hope normal conversations can resume one of these days. But I may be wishing away my kiddo's childhoods and I certainly don't want to do that.

Anyway, I am so glad to have my weekly moments with Emily and her kids. I know Brooklyn looks forward to her girl-time with Hollis!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Tell me about it girl! Last night at the park, I sparked up a conversation with another girl, my age with 4 kids under 5!!! Anyway, we were maybe able to talk in 2-5 minute intervals as we were both constantly having to shoot off to keep a kid from falling off play ground equipment or eating dirt or various things of that nature. Still, we were always able to pick right back up where left off with ease. Mom language is a sporadic language but understood by other Moms with ease, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be Brent's daughter! She is absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete