4 Month Check Up

5:13 PM


My big boy

Le Pink Eye

We awoke this morning already having planned to go to see Dr. Jenkins, our family physician, for August's 4 month check-up. (Slightly premature because he won't be 4 months old until Nov. 17, but it worked out 2 months after his 2 month checkup). I was incredibly curious to see just how long and heavy August is. A few weeks ago, I'd measured him myself and he was 26 inches long. At his 2 month check-up, he was 24 inches long and weighed in at 13 pounds. Now, two months later, he weighed in at 18 pounds, 10 ounces (!!!) and was 27.25 inches long. A weight gain of 5 pounds in 2 months and an addition of more than 3 inches to his stature. Wow. He was in the 97th percentile for BOTH. So, at least his weight is proportional to his height! My doctor just laughed and said, Good Work! We love it when they top the charts or even zoom off them.

The unplanned part of our visit developed when Brooklyn woke up this morning and her left eye was swollen and glued shut with eye gunk. She looked up at me blearily and oh, so sweetly, smiling with her one good eye. I thought to myself, Uh Whaaaaaa? After cleaning her eye up (and washing both our hands), I suspected pink eye. Hadn't seen that in a long time, but it sure looked like what she had. Fortunately and kind of hilariously, she had no idea that anything was wrong with her eye! I almost cried because she was so precious and looked so pitiful at the same time. After looking at her reflection in the mirror and puzzling over it a few minutes, she said, "Momma, what's wrong with my eye?" I said, "Well, we're gonna get that figured out. " How CONVENIENT that I had to go to the doctor anyway!!! Bonus!

An hour later, a weigh in for August and 4 shots later (poor baby), Brooklyn was a confirmed pink eye-er, we had drops in hand, had already administered a dose and were on our way home.
She doesn't appear to be itching on that eye, which is good! She's actually be phenomenal about not touching it! Hopefully, the rest of our family will emerge unscathed. Keep ya posted.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wow, what a bruiser! Better do some arm workouts so you can hold up his heftiness. He may surpass his sister in the weight category before too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, pink eye has been making it's way across the island out here the last month or so. So far, no one in the Cortez Clan has caught it, but I've avoided my friends like the plague that come down with it.

    Izzy's 4 month check up is the 18th and I cannot wait to see how much she's gained! I requested a different pediatrician so hopefully, things will go a bit better.

    ReplyDelete