A Dinner with Friends

1:00 PM

With all this experimental cooking I've been doing, there have been times when I wished I'd been courageous enough to invite friends over to sample it with us. But there's always this little bit of pride lurking that says..."what if you mess it up? What if it's horrible? You don't want to risk it." But dadburn it, I told that little voice to shut up yesterday and invited some friends over for dinner. I haven't done that in far too long. My menu said I was supposed to make Buckwheat Crepes with Leek and Cheese Filling. Sounded good, but was supposed to make about 18 crepes. Far more than Kyle, Brooklyn and I could consume. So I called up the residents of Mabel's House (check the sidebar of my blog) and they came running. Thankfully, they weren't too scared. And it had been too long since I'd spent quality time with these dear friends of ours.

While Kyle and Matt played with Brooklyn and August, Liz kept me company in the kitchen where I turned out crepe after crepe. Some were prettier than others, I have no doubt that authentic French crepe makers would scoff at my handiwork. But they worked for us! And anything with leeks is good to me. I mixed up the leeks with some bacon, threw in some jarlsberg cheese, some garlic and wrapped the crepes around them. Then, similar to today's lunch, let them get warm in an oven for about 15 minutes. It turned out to be delicious! We threw in a spinach salad and some cold sweet tea and it was complete. And for dessert, we ate cupcakes that Brooklyn had made with a friend of hers earlier in the afternoon! Sadly, I do not have pictures. Liz took them all for me. I'm hoping she'll post some on her blog...and I may have to beg for some copies. In any case, it made me realize that experimenting is actually MORE fun when shared with friends.

I think friendship is largely about feeling the freedom to fail around each other and knowing they'll love you regardless.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. It was so lovely Ashley! I'll eat your experiments ANY day! :)

    I did a little post about this today. Thanks so much again, we had a fantastic time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over from Mabel's House...I love friends, food, fun and sweet smiling little ones...

    tons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog from "Mabel's House." Mere Christianity is my all-time favorite book and I am so impressed that you have two babies and can manage blogging and making crepes and Mere Christianity! Women are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got to you from Mabel. Fun to read "both sides" of the dinner story! It has taken me many years to feel comfortable having guests over for a meal I am not totally sure about...but it is fun to experiment on friends, and that means they are true friends!

    ReplyDelete