First Attempts at Hiding Veggies

5:07 PM

First official attempt was this morning when I made French Toast (p. 49). I was kind of impressed with myself cause I made it on the fly during a playdate! Kyle joked last night that he was glad I'd found somebody to play with me. Well, I guess in many ways it does feel like play when you have a good time with a friend. So, back to the food: this recipe was just sneaking in banana puree, so obviously it wasn't a dramatic intro to the recipes. But it did taste good!

The more challenging recipes were tonite: oddly enough, more breakfast. Specifically, scrambled eggs (p. 53) and pancakes (p. 57).

The eggs were suppose to hide cauliflower, and I'll confess: I probably won't be making this recipe again. I like my eggs just plain ole eggs - no milk or anything else added. And this recipe not only called for a TON of eggs (2 large eggs plus 4 large egg whites), but also sour cream, 1/2 cup of cauliflower puree and parmesan cheese. The end result tasted somewhat like cafeteria eggs. Moist and kind of granular, not like I think eggs should be which is somewhat moist and not at all granular. Plus, I really could taste the cauliflower...or maybe it was the sour cream. And if you're gonna add cheese, I think it should have a kick, like from sharp cheddar. Something about these just didn't go down well. Even Brooklyn turned up her nose and she normally loves eggs. Oh, and I also couldn't bring myself to use 6 eggs. I did 3 regular plus 1 egg white. And somehow I don't think that dramatically affected the taste. So...thumbs down.

Pancakes. Ok, these weren't bad, but I did make some alterations. The recipe called for 1 cup of water and 1 cup of pancake mix. Well, what qualifies as pancake mix? To me, it's Bisquick. But my pancake recipe on the back of the Bisquick calls for 2 cups of mix and 1 cup of milk. Plus 2 eggs. Well, this had no eggs. But it did have the puree, so I'm guessing that was the egg substitute. Oh, the hidden veggie was sweet potatoes. My changes: instead of water, I used milk. And instead of 1 cup of pancake mix, I used more like 1 3/4. And I did use the 1/2 cup of sweet potato puree, and it did not taste bad! Even the goozy pancakes that I like (very gooey in the middle) tasted really good! The final product was sort of pinkish-orange, but that didn't seem to bother Brooklyn. A little maple syrup and it was a done deal. We both ate several. So, those can be made again. A thumbs up...but that is with MY modifications. I don't know EXACTLY how her recipe would taste with water and less pancake mix...

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. So, I hid some pureed carrots and peas in a red tomato sauce last night for a baked penne dish...Eva ate 2 helpings! And so did Paul, Mr Picky himself. However, today I tried to hide pureed butternut squash in Eva's lunch time mac n cheese...she wouldn't touch it. Phooey. But I've roasted a sweet potato today to try those pancakes you mentioned in the morning with some whole wheat Aunt Jemima pancake mix...I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete