Preparing For Apologetics

7:04 PM

This past year, Kyle and I have attended a weekly Bible study led by my Dad. I always benefit from studies led by him as he's one of the godliest men I know. And he has a very unique way of looking at Scripture. A perspective that really illuminates things for me. Well, he recently informed me and my brother Chad that he would like us to lead the study this next year and he and my mom will be participants. Color commentators, if you will.

Chad and I have prayed about this decision for several weeks, as it is not a small one. I realize what a time commitment this could be, not to mention the spiritual implications of teaching others. I have continued to feel that this IS something God wants me and Chad to do. There comes a point in your life when you have to stop receiving and start giving, start pouring out some of what you have learned and discovered into the lives and hearts of others. And I think maybe that time has come. I've done Bible studies before and even led some, but this one is different somehow.

As a result of several conversations I've had with my friends recently, the topic that keeps coming back to me is that of apologetics. Understanding the basis of the Christian faith, why it works, and how to translate that understanding to others with darn good questions.

It's a subject that is daunting, but as Paul Little, the author of one of the books I'm reading said, "After 2000 years, no one is going to think of a question that will bring Christianity crashing."

To prepare for this task, I have amassed quite a collection of books, including Mere Christianity and Know What & Why You Believe. I'm reading them both simultaneously, and I confess that I have put this process off because I thought it would be hard to really get into them. Boy, was I wrong. One afternoon, while rendered immobile on Brooklyn's bed as she fell asleep and August nursed, I grabbed one of the books (the Paul Little book) and started reading. And couldn't stop. Was absolutely enthralled! Later that night, I couldn't get August to sleep, so I grabbed Mere Christianity. I was still reading it long after he fell asleep. I think I was more intimidated by that one, cause I seem to remember it being very intense. And intense it is, but also fascinating! And a much easier read than I recall it being! I am loving it!

So far, the two books take totally different approaches to the basic questions of life which lend credibility to our faith, and it is sparking that thrill of learning in my mind that kept me in school so long! I love to learn and think and process new ways of thinking, and it is so fulfilling to do that while remembering all over again why my faith is NOT in vain. Why it really does make completely logical sense to believe in God, not just as a being, but as the creator and savior of the world, and me in particular!

Ok, as much as I'd like to keep writing, my little man is screaming for me. So, I'm off.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Try Josh McDowell " The New Evidence that demands a verdict".

    Also Lee Strobel "Case for Faith" and "Case for Christ" etc.

    The Encylopedia for Bible Difficulties by Gleason Archer Jr.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to read Mere Christianity twice and never got past the first chapter...CS Lewis is no joke!

    I heard someone say once that it takes more faith to NOT believe in God than it does to believe in Him. It's harder to prove there is no God than to prove that there is one. Just look around you.

    I'm excited to see how leading this Bible study goes for you and Chad! I'm sure it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete