Update on Cooking Plan

1:46 PM


As I anticipated, things that make it on to my weekly menu don't always get made on their designated day. For various reasons. One of the things I was supposed to make this week was buckwheat crepes with a leek and bacon filling. Welllll...I couldn't find buckwheat flour, of which a cup was required. Still haven't found it. I think I may try to substitute whole wheat flour and give it a go. Also, I had no bacon. And this called for thick-cut bacon or slab bacon that you're supposed to thickly cut yourself. People, I'm practically a vegetarian, so this was challenging for me. I have no relationship with my local butcher, as the authors of my many cookbooks have encouraged me to form. Frankly, a butcher shop intimidates me in the same way as the post office. I don't feel like I know all I need to know to really make a transaction that doesn't take advantage of my ignorance.

However, I have placed several calls to the nearest butcher, Hoggs Meat Market, and been pleasantly surprised by the disarming friendliness of the employees. I called them once to see if they sold pancetta...nope. But they directed me to a place that does. And this time, they were pleased to inform me that while they didn't sell SLAB bacon, they sold bacon of a thicker cut than I would find anywhere else. So, toting August's carrier and leading a very curious Brooklyn by the hand, we approached the counter and placed our order for 1 little pound of bacon. That would be $4.29. And let me tell you, I was totally unprepared for how BUSY this place was! There must have been 15 customers milling about and as many people behind the counter pulling hunks of meat from the refrigerated display cases. I guarantee you I walked away with the smallest portion of meat of anyone there. And while I'm by no means comfortable around so much meat, and I sort of felt like I was surrounded by a posse of rednecks, I liked the casual atmosphere and general friendliness about the place. Maybe eating all that meat makes people more good natured....hard to say.

I say all that to say that this upcoming week I will attempt the buckwheat crepes. I did accomplish something that I set out to do, though. It involved dessert. I find that I can usually manage to create something dessert-y regardless of how chaotic my week. It calms and settles me. And usually satisfies my chocolate craving.

Out of my French Kitchen cookbook, I tackled the Chocolate Cheesecake. Seriously divine. No cheese involved. Just bittersweet chocolate, white chocolate and creme fraiche. Well, I should say, my own clever version of creme fraiche. I often see creme fraiche referenced, but always thought it was just a fancy way of saying fresh cream. Ok, it may well be that, but there is a little more to it. Apparently, in Europe, where everything isn't pasteurized, it's quite common. Sort of has a sour creamy thing going on with it. And you can supposedly make your own by adding a little buttermilk to heavy cream and letting the two get to know each other more intimately over a 24 hour period. Well, I didn't have 24 hours or buttermilk, so I took equal parts heavy cream and sour cream, whipped up the regular cream and folded in the sour cream. Close enough, or so one website advised me. And then in to that, I mixed the white chocolate plus vanilla bean...and then the melted chocolate plus a tbsp of Kahlua. And dolloped them out onto a crust of crushed chocolate chip cookies, some melted butter and a little cinnamon. People, this stuff is seriously yummy. The hard thing is that you can't touch it for at least 3 hours while it sets. But once it's set, you can just cast aside your diet plans and dig in. Or maybe go for a run afterwards. That's what I did.

You Might Also Like

0 comments